Sticky Toffee Pudding(Serves 6-8)
8 oz. pitted dates, chopped
1¼ cups boiling water
½ cup softened buttered (3½ tbsp. for batter, use the rest to butter the pan
1 cup dark brown sugar
2 tbsp. black treacle or dark molasses
1 tbsp. Lyle's Golden Syrup
1 tsp. vanilla
2 cups self-rising cake flour
1 tbsp. baking soda
For Toffee Sauce
½ cup superfine sugar
7 tbsp. butter
6 oz. English double cream
1. In a bowl, cover dates with boiling water. Set aside.
2. Preheat oven to 375. Place a roasting pan filled with about 1 inch of water into the oven.
3. Butter a 9"x9" pan. Dust with flour. In a bowl, with an electric mixer, beat 3½ tbsp. butter with sugar until combined. Beat in eggs, one at a time, then add treacle, Golden Syrup and vanilla. Mix until just combined. On low speed, add the flour.
4. In a food processor, puree the dates. Stir in the baking soda and stir the mixture into the batter. Pour into the prepared pan. Place in roasting pan and bake about 35 minutes until top is just firm. Remove from oven and cool slightly.
5. Meanwhile, make the sauce. In a saucepan over medium heat, melt sugar and butter until mixture turns a deep amber color. Watch closely so it does not burn. Slowly mix in the double cream. Be careful: It will bubble up at first. Once all the cream is added, cook mixture until it is thick enough to coat a spoon. Cut cake into squares and serve with sauce and vanilla ice cream.